A sump pump is a piece of equipment installed at the home’s lowest point. It helps to collect and expel excess water that can cause flooding and the growth of harmful bacteria and mold on your property. The pipes that make up the sump pump are perforated to allow water in and then redirect the water to the nearest dry well, a creek or pond, or even a neighborhood drain. It’s prudent as a homeowner to be proactive and let an experienced sump pump repair pro in Bloomington, IL inspect your system regularly to ensure proper operation.
This guide aims to dig deeper into why your system malfunctions and why sump pump repair is best left to experienced plumbers.
What Can Cause Your Sump Pump to Malfunction?
Sump pumps can malfunction for several reasons. The most Common culprits include:
- Power failure: Sump pumps are typically powered by electricity. If the power goes out, so does the sump pump’s ability to do its job.
- Age: Sump pumps have an average life expectancy of 10 to 15 years. As they age, the parts can wear out and cause them to fail.
- Frozen lines: The drain hose is the most vulnerable part of your sump pump. If it is clogged with debris or ice forms in the line, this can prevent water from draining properly.
- Clogged pipes: Dirt and sediment can clog the discharge pipes over time. The accumulation can slow the sump pump down or cause total blockage, leading to flooding in your basement.
- Vibrations: Sump pumps can start to vibrate due to a loose connection or worn-out parts. The vibrations can cause it to become less efficient and eventually fail.
- A small sump pump: Another common cause of sump pump failure is undersized. Small units can’t handle the amount of water they need to pump, leading to flooding and damage.
- Faulty float switches: A float switch inside the sump pump activates the pump when water levels rise. If this switch fails, it can prevent the system from working correctly.
- Lack of regular maintenance: Failure to maintain the sump pump can lead to premature failure. Routine maintenance and inspections of the sump pump ensure that it’s working as it should and can quickly address any problems that may arise.
Why Hire a Professional Repair Service for Sump Pumps Matters
Since a sump pump is one of the essential pieces of equipment in your Bloomington, IL home, it’s vital to ensure that whoever handles installation, repair, or replacement is experienced and qualified. Below are the top 5 benefits of hiring a professional sump pump repair service:
Expertise in diagnosis and repair
A sump pump repair pro has undergone rigorous training and has the expertise to diagnose any problem with your unit. Most of these experts provide access to parts that may be difficult to find elsewhere and are conversant with the installation process and safety checks for potential flaws and hazards. Therefore, a professional guarantees that the repairs will be completed correctly and safely. Additionally, they have the skills to know when a repair can fix the problem or if the sump pump replacement is a more cost-effective option.
Proper sizing and installation
Figuring out the correct sump pump size will require knowledge of the area to be drained, how much water needs to be expelled, and the type of plumbing system present. It also requires you to know the pump’s horsepower rating, flow rate, and other details. A sump pump that is too small won’t be able to handle the amount of water they need to expel, which can lead to flooding and damage to your property. Similarly, if the pump is too large, it can be inefficient and costly to operate. So it’s critical to get it right the first time. Fortunately, sump pump repair professionals consider all these factors when installing a new unit to ensure it’s the best fit for your home.
Help narrow down your options
When it comes time to replace your sump pump, you might be overwhelmed with the varied options in the market. Sump pumps come in different shapes and sizes, and each model has unique capabilities. Only a sump pump repair expert has the knowledge and experience to pick the suitable model for your home. They can also provide professional advice on the best brands and models, as well as maintenance tips to keep your unit running efficiently.
Having access to expert advice can be crucial when dealing with sump pumps. In addition to helping you select the correct sump pump for your property, a plumber can offer guidance on how to maintain and care for your unit. They can also avail helpful tips on how to test and inspect the pump and advise when it’s time to upgrade or replace it. Sump pump repair service can also provide alternative recommendations and enlighten you about the latest units that are more energy-efficient and have a longer lifespan.
Provide battery backup system
During a storm, the power will likely go out, your sump pump will cease running, and your basement will still flood. Sump pump repair pro can provide a battery backup system as extra protection against such eventualities. They’ll first assess the needs of your home before recommending a suitable battery backup system. This will help ensure that your sump pump can keep your basement and property safe, even when the power is out.
Professional Sump Pump Services in Bloomington
A faulty sump pump might not seem like a big deal on your property, but it can lead to costly repairs and extensive water damage. Avoid potential problems by hiring a professional sump pump service in Bloomington, IL. Covenant Plumbing is committed to providing our customers with top-notch services and quality workmanship. Our expert technicians can help you with sump pump repair or replacement and provide advice on the best system for your home.
Contact us at Covenant Plumbing today to learn more about our sump pump services!